Saturday, October 11, 2008

Working hours.

A sort of career shift occurred. But, the effect from the shift came more from the change in working hours than the job itself. From shift duty to office hours can really upset routine that has been in place for decades.

Now, I have to battle jams on the return journey. Going to work early (like before) is no big deal. I get a smooth drive. Having lunch breaks has initially let loose my disciplined food intake. When I stepped on the weighing scale after a one-week leave, the reading nearly made me frantic.

It has been a month since the change. Now, I am back holding the throttle. I found a route that can take me home with the least hold on the brakes. I take the drive to listen to car radio - the music, the news and enjoy my new car. I let all the impatient drivers past me.

Used to having brunch at 10 am , I get very hungry when 1 pm comes. So, lunch tends to be heavier than the usual brunch. What more, with meetings where you get to nibble. Not so ,starting October. No more nibbling at meetings. Lunch back to brunch portions. The November reading should be encouraging.

I look forward to the weekends. Two days. Such luxury. I know I earn them. But, the longers hours we put in during our shift duties were not translated into days off. You get this feeling of injustice. Fighting the system was a futile effort. No one wanted to listen. HCOD should be put on shift. Things may change for the better for the shift workers.

No comments: